Monday, March 7, 2011

450 - Joe Torre

About This Player
Joe Torre enjoyed 18 seasons as a Major League catcher, third baseman and first baseman.  A nine-time All-Star, Torre spent his playing career with the Braves, Cardinals and Mets.  Torre's finest season came in 1971 in which he led the league in hits, RBIs and batting average and was selected the National League Most Valuable Player.

Torre might be better known for his managerial success.  In 1977, Torre played as a player/manager for the Mets.  He later went on to manage five different teams, including leading the New York Yankees to four World Series championships.  Torre also received Manager of the Year recognition in 1996 and 1998.

Joe also has a brother, Frank, who enjoyed seven seasons with the Braves and Phillies.

About This Card
Joe Torre is listed as a third baseman in the 1973 Topps set.   While Torre did play mostly 3rd in the previous season, he started most of his games at 1st base in 1973.

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to add a comment that I'm back after a long hiatus from the site and I'm still working on completing the 1973 Topps set. I hope to have more time to post every day, but we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    Glad to see you're back. I was beginning to think I was carrying the '73 banner all by myself.

    Send me an email about the cards you still need on the set, I may be able to help you get a little closer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    It's good to be back. Glad to see you've been steady for your '73 blog. I enjoying reading what I've missed and I'm glad that I can use your posts for reference.

    I'll send you an e-mail about the cards I still need. Just added 8 more to the set today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, welcome back. I missed your return as I've been busy the last few weeks. I've got some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete